The HANDA Foundation
Dr. Haruhisa Handa has over the past twenty years, dedicated himself to the redevelopment and recovery of war-torn Cambodia.
His support has included the formation and development of the University of Cambodia, the Sihanouk Hospital, the Future Light Orphanage, the South East Asia Television Station, various programs of the Cambodian Red Cross; and several other important initiatives.
In 2012 Dr. Handa founded a new International NGO called The Handa Foundation a non-religious, non-political, not-for-profit organization with the mission of building hospitals and schools in various countries of Southeast Asia, which has been registered in the United States, the United Kingdom and the Kingdom of Cambodia. It receives funding from various individuals and organizations, and is driven by the visionary leadership of Dr. Haruhisa Handa.
The Handa Emergency Hospital in Battambang and The Handa Rehabilitation Centre in Phnom Penh are the first two projects funded by this new organization, and exemplify the focus intended for those hospitals and schools that will be a part of The Handa Foundation, for the following reasons:
- They function in close cooperation with the Royal Government of Cambodia
- They have a significant and immediate impact on their communities
- They are designed to be entirely self-sustaining within two years
- They provide training opportunities for Khmer professionals
- They serve a disadvantaged population within the country